Saturday, March 29, 2014

Carousels, Pretty Colors, and Wonderful Nonsense

Sometimes I think my head works like a carousel. It spins round and round, and yet gets absolutely nowhere. It's thoughts are full of pretty lights and colors as its many different animals glide up and down, all spinning into a swirl of nonsense. To some people, someone with a child-like, nonsensical outlook can be an absolute headache. But to anyone who looks carefully, I think it can be something very beautiful. I think it's not because it speaks about reality, but because it speaks to what reality cannot understand.

I guess what I'm getting at here is - maybe we put too much emphasis on things that make sense. To a certain extent, we do need a very strong dose of reality. The thing is, once you have a mature understanding of it, I think that it can be hard to see life in an innocent way anymore, and when that happens, we've lost something valuable - we've lost hope. If we can only let go of our fears and bitterness towards life, we might find that seeing life with the nonsensical eyes of a child can allow us to face it with a new strength. Because children, though they might make little or no sense, trust with a fierceness that no one can ever take away. Why? Because they aren't yet afraid of getting hurt, and that is a precious gift. And all of us were able to do it once. I feel we are able to do it again if we only set aside our fear of being hurt and learn to trust, despite knowing that it will hurt. Yes, life is pain, but without pain there could not be life. It is a teacher - a harsh one, but it can be a loving one if we let it.

2 Corinthians 12:9 - "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for you: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather boast in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." (NKJ)

So even though the seemingly-foolish unquestioning faith of a child may seem as ridiculous to an adult as a carousel, it's after you stand back and look at it that you realize the true beauty of it's silliness.

All the best,

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment